Monday, August 29, 2011

JR


You live behind reflective sunglasses,
held on by creative forces and duct tape,
shielded by decorated hats,
wearing the symbols of moments
like badges from an ancient war

When I seek your eyes
I only see myself.
Distorted by the curve of plastic lenses
and doubts of my own creation,
I am left seeking

Your demeanor is one of deep currents
moving with space
watchful deliberation and
the ability to take things with you
the power to leave others behind.
On the shore,
waiting to become someone else's treasure.

In some long ago story,
when dragons needed slaying and
battlefields were not yet cemeteries,
you carried the sword.
You played the hero.

Now, in this story
the dragons have all but retreated into Middle Earth,
the swords hang over mantles and
battlefields have become historic sites and visitor centers
full of Hawaiian print shirts and camera flashes.

Now, in this story
you play games in the dark
with your own shadows
learning the art of combat, protection
the hero by your own need for rescue.

I am drawn to you
the way I am drawn to water.
Something deeper that I want
to know, to touch, to hold
if just for a moment
to treasure
to know something more about the mystery
the parts that make the whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yoga in Joshua tree

Yoga in Joshua tree

Wings and Rock

Wings and Rock