Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The River


Straight, solid, centered, safe.
I thought my path would be until I met the River.
A boat for a classroom, the lessons could be harsh,
Punishing a lack of attention or poor judgment,
Cold mountain currents pulled me from my craft and bounced me
Through rapids, pummeling against unyielding rocks.
When the volume is high, the obstacles change.
Maintaining my direction,
Committing to a course, proved more difficult than anticipated.
Whitewater rapids demanded all my focus, all my strength.
No changes to curriculum, I was informed the only way out is through.
As the River widened, gentler lessons were given: find the V,
The tongue, follow the bubble line to catch the deepest current;
Let the water push you forward with the least effort.
Golden eagles, blue herons, white pelicans,
Beavers were classroom monitors, witnessing my failures and progress.
Upon graduation I learned to follow the currents with grace and ease,
Not to push the river but move within it.
I found my path-
It was in the water.

~Diane Bergstrom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yoga in Joshua tree

Yoga in Joshua tree

Wings and Rock

Wings and Rock